Combining an austere approach to materials, warm showroom touches and a flow that takes clients on a journey through the firm’s offerings, this simple yet sophisticated project shows the extent to which a professional space can be personalised within budgetary constraints.
The brief was to transform a leased office space with limited views, and restrictions on physical alterations into a striking working environment for a design firm. As well as providing a creative and inspiring space for the employees to work, the office also needed to function as a meeting area with clients and suppliers as well as a showroom for materials.
- The budget for fit out and furniture was $30,000. Consideration had to be given that all materials would need to be removed at the end of the office space’s lease.
- The 67sqm open-plan space would need to accommodate an arrival area, meeting room and workspace that could accommodate staff growth.
The essence of the design was to craft a curated journey through the workplace, guiding visitors through the key aspects of the design operation, while balancing comfort and considered decoration with professional and technical requirements.
- An entry wall was introduced to accommodate signage and border the meeting area, brought into line with the existing kitchen space.
- Wallpaper and paint were used to create visual interest, with tonal consideration given to the existing flooring.
- Architectural screening provides visual interest and controls the flow between work, recreational, meeting areas.
- Custom cabinetry accommodates the firm’s storage needs and showcases their design aesthetic with unique detailing such as the custom electroplated circular handles.
- Source materials line the window, making use of natural light and serving a dual-purpose of function and decoration.
- Furniture, art, rugs used in the office are designed by the firm and provided by their regular collaborators, showcasing the standard of workmanship offered.
A spartan and functional space in a building lacking character caters to the needs of a growing design firm while advertising their aesthetic. Functionality is balanced by creative flourishes achieved within a firm budget.
The emphasis on customisation and control of spatial flow emphasises the firm’s strengths, along with space to showcase the work their own designs and that of collaborators.