“Having never renovated or built a home before, we commenced a major renovation and extension of our Northbridge home in in late 2013. For the duration of what turned into a complex 15 month project, we engaged the services of Kennard Gornall Design. And thank goodness that we did!
Nathan and Kyla’s breadth of complementary skills is impressive and inspires confidence. Together, they have a wonderful ability to take a large and complex job and break it into manageable segments – which made the whole process so much more simpler for us. What began as a design, furnishing & decoration focused brief, soon turned into much more with Nathan and Kyla project managing the majority of our building works too.
Nathan and Kyla took the time to understand our needs and preferred style, then presented us with alternatives, shortlists and selections for all facets of our home. The outcome is amazing! We absolutely love our home, particularly it’s relaxed, beautiful style and the way it suits our family lifestyle.
Like many things in life, it is attention to the little details that produces an end-to-end, cohesive result – which is something we could not have achieved without Nathan and Kyla.
We have no hesitation in recommending Kennard Gornall Design.”
Jamie & Joanne, Northbridge
A rundown Californian Bungalow in Sydney’s north was transformed into a family home with layered bespoke details that combine the Hamptons lifestyle with classic Hollywood touches and European craftsmanship. Increased space, multi-purpose rooms, all with an eye to luxurious living, were challenges embraced by the design team.
The brief was to unite the introduction of a lower level kitchen, living space, bathroom, rumpus and garage with the existing structure and to reconfigure the floorplan. Every room was to serve a purpose to every member of the family, excluding the parents’ lavish private retreat.
Encouraged to work with the original character of the home, repurposing existing fittings and building elements the inspired home is located on a sloping and confined block, which provided challenges with creating exterior visual interest and the introduction of downstairs spaces.
- The owners required a section of the house to be available for home-office use, which would contain professional clients from private areas.
- Children’s bedrooms and bathroom would need to appeal to the young while allowing for a maturing of taste.
- Single level amenities for elderly guests, required existing subfloor structural alteration to accommodate both shower seating and adequate storage in rumpus bathroom areas.
- The use of sustainable material such as reengineered flooring throughout the house, as well as incorporating high-vaulted ceilings and passive and cross ventilation for energy efficiency.
- A rise-and-fall television was concealed in ventilated cabinetry for discretion of audio visual appliances, maintaining the symmetrical design of the focal living room elevation.
- Exterior elements of visual interest were introduced, with the pool providing a focal point. The extension of the dramatically-raked living room ceiling draws sightlines to the outdoor area.
- The open-tread staircase, with hand-forged steel bannisters, bridges the original structure with the introduced lower spaces.
- Bulkheads were installed to unite storage with the structure. Elements such as the kitchen island and built in bathroom cabinetry were crafted to resemble introduced furniture.
- The former dining room was transformed into a library/meeting room, leading into the study/home office. The adjacent powder room offers amenities to guests.
- Multiple original features were repurposed as design features including leadlight windows and doors, mouldings and ceiling details.
Through the repurposing and introduction of space, a humble family home was elevated to luxurious accommodation with home-office capabilities.
- The high standard of materials and bespoke craftsmanship added to the sense of luxury while meeting the client’s specific needs.
- The open flow of the introduced living space is enhanced by concealed cabinetry and audio-visual equipment and the connection between the living and outdoor space.
- Respect for the original features and a high attention to detail elevated the living standard of the home while retaining the more pleasing aspects of its original character.